Thursday, July 22, 2010

Jimmy Dean

A few weeks ago, Jimmy Dean died. I would guess few noticed. When one thinks of Jimmy Dean, one probably thinks about, well....sausage. Jimmy Dean sausage will likely go on and many pigs will continue to die for the pleasure of y'all carnivores. And yet...the older generation who lived through the era of variety shows might remember that Jimmy had his own...on network television in fact. One thinks "Big Bad John," a novelty song that somehow became a major hit. Jimmy was famous for a while. But mostly he is just linked...ahem...to sausage.

But long ago and far away, in Washington D.C. where I grew up, Jimmy Dean was a celeb in the nation's capital long before his big ears gained national attention. He had a regular Saturday evening show from the old Uline Arena...think the Grand Ol' Opry...with Gunther beer commercials...I think in Northeast section of the city. He also had a morning show, five says a week, seven to nine a.m..

I was not your typical seven year-old. I had my first guitar...lucky...it was a little Martin acoustic. While my peers might have admired Jimmy on the Mickey Mouse Club or Pick Temple and his pony, Piccolo, my heroes were finger-pickers....Elvis's guitarist, Scotty Moore...Ricky Nelson's guitarist James Burton...or Roy Clark...a terrific musician in his day. I remember my mother waking me up early for the two straight weeks Chet Atkins was a guest on Jimmy's morning show. Sleepy-eyed and probably munching a bowl of Sugar Pops, I studied Chet. I even remember Jimmy's band....Buck Ryan on fiddle, Smitty Erwin on banjo and Billy Grammer on guitar (the mind is amazing organ)....Jimmy sporting a huge accordion of all things...his huge ears sticking out from behind. Roy Clark was a regular as well. I would then go and sit with my Martin and practice the finger-picking style that was so fascinating and advanced for my little stubby fingers. Chet, Scotty, James, Roy and me.

Not a terribly interesting story...just a memory. It's just that I learned to play guitar by ear...or maybe by eyes. My fingers continued to pick along side my brother...my friends Jean and Steve...and they even helped pay my expenses during grad school. It all started with Jimmy and Chet and Roy. I know this. Few would care, but I know this. Bye, Jimmy. Thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment