Monday, June 18, 2018

God Bless Turtle Island, Land That I Love



Let me just start by putting this out there. I do not currently love my country…that is, if “my country” is what remains of the “United States of America”. Were it not for my reliance upon Medicare and, soon, Social Security “benefits” (my money, not theirs), I might very well be heading to Nova Scotia or looking for a cabana on the Baja peninsula. I cannot place a flag outside my house or salute it, sing the national anthem, or blindly accept a government that doesn’t represent me. If I were a pro football player, I would do much worse than kneel. Yes, I am both angry and sad. 

This position, these feelings, were not always true. I had that flag outside my house and left it out there 24 hours a day…believing that the men and women who were far away and at war, walked in harm’s way as I slept. The stories of my military clients only deepened my respect for them and their responsibilities in protecting me and all that is mine. My disowning of blind commitments to this government and its supporters does not suggest I have abandoned these sentiments. 

Even as a child, I would have been called a hawk (an “eyas”?) and, as an anti-war, hippy young adult, I would argue against war but not against our warriors. My beliefs eventually matured to understand that there is a need for military might in this world but continuing to hope and vote for peace. 

Upon further maturation, I now know that wars are political, financial, and manipulative. There is no other explanation for lives and dollars lost by our presence in the middle east…where factions have been at war for centuries. These wars are about oil, more money for the military-industrial conspiracy, and political gain. 

Yet, for most of my life, I have had leaders who, despite my disagreements with their values, I could begrudgingly either support or tolerate. We were most recently blessed by eight years of leadership by a marvelous, classy, and dignified man and his family. There was the illusion that this country had finally turned a corner…turned corners…African-American, funny, sincere, diplomatic, and respected around the world. He represented me as well as millions of citizens who had never truly been represented.

But now…

In the white house, literally blocks from my childhood home, lives a corrupt, sociopathic, dangerous tyrant. He seeks closeness with other tyrants. He envies them. He wants their power and he wants their respect. Undoubtedly, they view him as the fool that he is as they gain an influence that threatens us all. His is married to a morally corrupt trophy wife who likely views him with disgust but stays for her own position and power. His children too are corrupt…or dense…or invisible based on their usefulness to their tyrant sperm-donor. When any of them open their mouths, lies spill out like urine in a Russian hotel suite. 

He does not represent me and never will. He needs to go and I pray for his departure by whatever means it takes.

Worse…

The only way he can get away with lies, his corruption, his immoral decisions and movement towards a dictatorship is to have his Nazi party in power. His Nazi party is so afraid that they might lose votes from his ignorant, racist deplorables that they…do…nothing. Isolated from the world and alienation from allies? Fine. Placating a powerful, hostile enemy to gain their assistance in destroying our elections? Fine. Using his power for financial gain? Fine. 

My former party (I have none now), the democrats, passively complain from their self-righteous, politically correct perch. They could…they COULD…maintain an obstructionist, 24/7 cruisade to challenge, to undermine the Nazi party and a continual barrage of fascist exectutive orders. Going on Rachel Maddow to tell us how awful the pumpkin is won’t do it. Our country and our lives are at stake and whiny complaints just won’t do it.

Worse worse…

Nearly 50% of “Americans” support this sewage. Fifty percent! They are either ignorant, just plain stupid, or counting corporate profits. They are immoral. They are racist. They might have a few worthwhile points of view, but have no clue that fascism is not the right way to be heard. They are, truly, deplorable.

So long as the orange dictator and his Nazi party pursue racial cleansing, they will conveniently not believe overwhelming evidence of corruption and loss of respect from the rest of the world. They will drive around in their rusted pickup trucks filled with hamburger wrappers and cigarette butts and gun ra cks and believe they somehow win. They are the true cancer in this country.

And now…

We all know (well, some racist deplorables choose to believe it to be a myth) that the German Nazi party rounded up Jews, separated parents from children, and killed them. They were making Germany great again I guess. Normal, formally moral German citizens were somehow persuaded that this was okay. 

And today, along our border with Mexico, adults…many of whom are simply seeking refuge from terrible conditions in their own countries, are being labeled “criminals”. With this justification, their children are being taken from them and farmed into plantations. Oh…they’re offered clean clothes and toys. How compassionate! We’re supposed to believe that this will soften the trauma they have to endure. We’re told it’s the democrats’ fault. The deplorables believe this. The Nazi members of congress say it is wrong…and do nothing. Maine senator two-faced Collins, fresh with a new hairdo, finds it unacceptable…and then accepts it. 

This God awful creature, this pile of human waste, stop at nothing in an attempt to blackmail the Nazis and democrats to give him his goddam, useless wall just to keep a promise to his deplorable, racist followers. This act, this inexcusable abuse of power to terrify and psychologically damage innocent children goes beyond explanation...other than it is carried out by a sociopath.




And the world watches...

When the world sees this country withdraw from a global effort to save the environment, befriend tyrants, promote white supremacy, tax the poor and reward the wealthy, allow corruption in the white house, tolerate mass killings, they blame this country…the United States. They will see the precious flag as, not a symbol of liberty and democracy, but as a menace and a joke. What they won’t know is that I am not that country. I am not those values. I am just one of millions who are victims of a fascist regime.

Before this land was invaded by Spaniards, British, Vikings…whoever, there was no “America”. No, that was just a name based on one of the European conquering heroes. Before the genocide, before “civilization” was forced upon native peoples, there was no “America.” Of course, many were not aware of the expanse, the borders, the oceans. But, prior to the invasion, many tribes of indigenous people called this land “Turtle Island.” The history is very interesting and worth a read.

There was no United States. No Canada. No Mexico. There were only the vast plains of wildlife and grasses and rivers. There were majestic mountains and valleys. There were long stretches of beautiful coastline. Some tribes fought each other, but many traded and lived in peace. They worked hard, valued their young, and lived by treasured and protected values. They were Cherokee, Chinook, and Blackfoot. And they live in a land, as seen my many, known as Turtle Island.


This is the closest I can come to disowning a nation while still residing in the land I love. This was the continent of people who worked hard, valued their young, and lived and protected respectable values. I don’t love the United States of America anymore. I love Turtle Island. 

No comments:

Post a Comment